Happy Wedding Wednesday loves!
Did you know that before I entered the world of Wedding Planning, I was a dancer?! I was a professional dancer for YEARS so music is in my blood! I am known to break out at a dance party at any given moment so this is one of my favorite posts to write.
The first thing to think about, do you want a DJ or live band? Both are great options, so let's talk about the differences between the two:
DJ vs. Live Musicians
Hire a DJ because:
- DJ's can provide a greater variety of music than live musicians
- You want to make sure that your favorite songs sound the way you are used to hearing them
- You want almost continuous music; live musicians will need breaks
- There is a limited amount of floor space at your reception venue
- You are on a limited budget
Hire live musicians because:
- Live music is more exciting, and more people are likely to dance
- All of the music will follow the same style ( jazz, reggae, blues, rock), which is essential if you are hosting a theme wedding
- You aren't likely to hear a style of music that you don't like
Here are some things you may want to know before hiring a DJ or live musician that may make your decision easier:
- Do you want to hire them for the ceremony? If so, and you are using a place of worship, have you gotten clearance for them to perform there?
- What type of music do you want during your ceremony?
- Will the DJ or musicians need to accompany any vocalists during the ceremony?
- What mood do you want at your reception? Subdued and romantic or Dance Dance Revolution?
- What songs do you want to be played?
- What songs do you NOT want to be played?
- When do you want music played, and do you have special songs you want to hear during special moments ( ie. cake cutting, toasts, bouquet and garter toss)
- Do you want the DJ or band leader to be the master of ceremonies?
I know this is a lot to think about, but if you know what type of wedding you want your guests to enjoy, the choice is easy!
Until Next Time,